Friday 13 January 2012

Day 5 - Young and Restless

I decide to get the bus back because it's cheaper and gives a better view of London than the Underground. The top deck front seat is available. Perhaps this novelty wears off eventually.

Halfway into the trip I hear a London accent behind me (surprise surprise - but there are many accents in London; it's not uncommon to hear people talking French). Eager to put a face to the accent, I turn around briefly. When the lady has finished she apologises for talking too loudly.

"You weren't talking loudly at all. I confess I wanted to put a face to the voice.

 We talk for the rest of the trip, which is another half an hour for me. She's going all the way to Hammersmith because that's cheaper than taking the train. She is Nigerian in origin and was fostered in London. She's about my age and is a teacher at a school for disadvantaged children. By disadvantaged she means unruly kids or those with behavioural difficulties.

"A school for rebellious teenagers," I quip.
"Today I had to deal with a kid who just won't listen. He was expelled but his former school will take him back if he improves. I think he's getting bullied here. When I took him aside to calm him down he relentlessly banged his hand on the wall behind him, ignoring me, even though a class was going on in the next room."
I state the obvious. "He was seeking attention."

She wholeheartedly wants the very best for these boys. We agree a university education isn't the be all and end all. But they have to find something they're passionate about. A lot come from neighbourhoods where it's cool to not like school.

"No one likes school," I say.
"True, but we can make it bearable, even enlightening."
"Even if one or two kids find their path, that must be very rewarding for you."
"I don't want them to end up in jail. Or committing murder - like what happened on Oxford Street the other day outside the sales. Over some shoes."

She points out the sights as we cruise down Oxford Street, the places where I can get some bargains. Everything's a bargain for me with the Australian dollar so strong. She tells me if I live here I'll be on an English wage. 
 "But I think you'd thrive in London," she says.
We swap details and promise to keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment