Wednesday 4 January 2012

Day 1 - The Departure

And I begin the tale of my travels with the word "And" - a rather unexciting word, a mere conjunction - but one which signifies a long overdue addition to my life's experience. And I begin putting pen to paper in Abu Dhabi airport, where there is no such thing as a flat-white (cappuccinos or 'coffee'-lattes only), and on top of that it costs 5 dollars. This great desert city! Actually, it looks pretty desolate from the airport, and is only a stopover on my greater journey - to Europe!

Packing was smooth. I began a week in advance and took a friend's advice to write a checklist: mobile phone, high tech running shoes, strap-on document pouch, map of the London tube, French dictionary, netbook, note pad, and six pairs of reversible underpants (among other things).

My entrance to the departure lounge went smoothly. I wasn't signaled out for the additional 'magic wand' security check, despite doing my best to look like a racial profile. The attendant was determined to wave his wand over a couple of average anglo-looking Australian terrorists .. I mean tourists!

No comments:

Post a Comment