Friday 6 January 2012

Day 3 - Edgeware Road

Regaining the Dolphin at 6pm, I snooze until 10. I then walk around Paddington and up to Edgeware Road. This road was begun by the Romans in 47AD. Now it is home to a substantial Arab population, many who migrated here in the 1950s and 70s from Lebanon, Egypt, and Cyprus.

The street is still buzzing - many kafes, koffee shops and korner stores are doing a thriving trade. Many bearded - and unbearded - men smoke hookas in front of shopfronts that double as cafes and Lebanese eateries. Owners were concerned they'd go out of business after the passing of the anti-smoking laws that prevented smoking inside restaurants and bars. Evidently this is not the case. The scent of rose flavoured tobacco wafts down the street - this is hooka central.

Mobile phone dealers offer me cheap calls anywhere in the world. A couple of gypsies beg for money, their hands clasped together. "Please, please sir, some money, please," they beseech as they circle me. I quickly dispense with some more coins - probably about $AU3 worth. Their almost cringeworthy begging ceases and I hurry onward - with their blessings. I'm unsure whether I've done a good or bad thing.

I have a quick hot chocolate at Costas coffee chain, then saunter off to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan,

    I'm loving your blog, it's insightful and often quite funny, you write well.

    Re: gypsies, I generally feel it isn't good to encourage the begging by giving in (you don't want to legitimise their business model), but it is often so difficult to get rid of them, paying them off is the easy option. It's harsh, but I usually offer a short, sharp No! and they usually back off.

    Looking forward to hearing the about the rest of your European adventure, and a beer when you get home.
    Cheers, Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tom. Will have lots more stories, and will regale you with the uncensored version when I return!

      Delete